"Where does family start? It starts with a young man falling in love with a girl - no superior alternative has yet been found"
-Winston Churchhill

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Changes

"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The JOY OF LIFE comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun"
- Chris McCandless

I read this and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I live a secure life, and I always think I know what is going to happen tomorrow, because I have already planned it out. I know I can't put too much weight into Chris McCandless's words, because he went out on an adventure and ended up starving himself to death - but I still think that he had lots of widsom when he wrote these words. He was not afraid to go to Alaska and experience something new - he did not let life hold him back. That is how I want Jon and I to live - as though we are experiencing each day as a new one, and that are living to the fullest, and not being held back. We always talk about one day living in a Muslim country, and doing missions - but deep down, despite the fact that I know JOn really wants to go, I know that it would be a hard sell for me, because who wants to leave the life they know for one they don't? However, I want to be OPPPPENNN to new opportunities, and just new adventures!! Something small, but still a step is that Jon and I both applied to be Youth Leaders at Parksville Baptist Church with the senior high group. I agonized over this decision - is it crazy to serve at a church an hour and a half away? Are we too committed to other things to really do a good job? But when we realized that both of us really wanted to do it, we just committed to it, and now it starts next week and I am so excited! I just hope that we can really learn what is means to live a life that is freefalling and not afraid. We are both too crazy and full of life to be held back by the silly little things we let get in the way!

2 comments:

  1. woowoo jon and mel rock! youth ministry is sweet! never let fear guide you!

    -bent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this quote! I love it.. and really needed to hear that today. Love you Mel! Love your blog too. Great to hear about what has been going on with the Lampards. Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete