"Where does family start? It starts with a young man falling in love with a girl - no superior alternative has yet been found"
-Winston Churchhill

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day of cleaning and re-arranging

On this very productive Saturday, Jon and I slept in (up at nine of course... Jon is incapable of sleeping later than that!) and got up and looked around our house. Because the Lampard clan is coming over tomorrow for thanksgiving dinner (and staying over night!) we knew we had lots of work to do with cleaning our house and making sure it was all in order for them. For a while now I have been wanting to start on making our duplex really our home. If we are here for a a while I want it to feel comfortable and like it is home! But the problem is that because no one has lived here in a quite a while, it has become almost a storage unit for all things that camp does not really want, and does not know what to do with! But full of ambition, I convinced Jon that today was a GREAT day to start with our renovations!!!

We started in our living room and re-arranged EVERYTHING! We got rid of a couch (who the heck needs THREE couches in their house of TWO people?!), and changed how we had everything. We even added the rocking chair that we got from Tim and Lois that I LOVE into our living room, and we hung up my Canuck jersey on the wall - I know lots of women would never let a jersey be hung in their living room, but it was a present to me from the Lampards and has my name on it, and its special! And I like that Jon cares so much about something - hes supportive of all my insane craziness, so this is the least I can do for him. The open way we have it set up now just makes it SO much more homey and cute, and I love it!!

Next was "room 4" - the little room with two single beds in it. Again, who needs a room with two single beds in it, when you have two other rooms with queen size beds in them, not including your own?!! So we got rid of one of the beds, and made the other bed all warm and cute (I used all my bedding from when I lived in the dorm - it made me smile!), and then we set up a desk that was just sitting in the other bedroom in two pieces. So now we have an "office" - we even moved our book shelf into that room, along with all our photoalbums and everything. Now we can set up our printer and I can have a space to put all my scrapbooking stuff!!! The room looks GREAT and I am really happy with it. I also want to get a rug for the floor (its gross laminate right now) and hang up our college degrees on the wall, and paint the one wall. But it is MUCH better.

Then we went into "room 2". This room is not that bad - its the best out of the three! But we added in a small table and a lamp and an alarm clock - little things to make it a bit warmer. This room has a really weird closet - its like make of plywood and just put up. So we tidied the things in the closet, but on our next day off we plan on cleaning out that closet (there is ANOTHER bed in the closet - its a small todder bed, but still! Seriously the bed situation in this house boggles me haha!) and taking down the plywood and not having a closet in there. If we are still here when we have a baby, I would like to spice the room up, and we would probably buy, or Jon would make a wardrobe to put in there. But for now, I just want it to look warm and homey, not shabby, so that when we have company they can be comfortable and feel good. So the makeshift closet has got to go soon.

The next room we went into was ours. We cleaned it all out and got rid of a lot of junk (it is AMAZING how fast junk piles up!!) and re-organized our closet, and our shoerack. We took out the antique bench we had in there (another piece we got from Tim and Lois that I love!) and put it in the living room, and put new shelves in where the bench was to hold my sweaters. We then re-arranged all the furniture in our room. It looks good, but I am not sure yet if I love it. But Jon does love it, so thats good!! Its a change, and that is what I was going for, so all is good.

After all the moving around, Jon made us dinner, and is now watching the first Canuck game of the year, while I am baking buns and making cookies for tomorrow!! It was a busy busy day, but lots of fun! I love the days that we get to spend together, and making our house more ours feels really good. We are now all set for company and to enjoy a wonderful thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment