"Where does family start? It starts with a young man falling in love with a girl - no superior alternative has yet been found"
-Winston Churchhill

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Happy 24th Birthday Jon

Yesterday was one of my very favorite days of the year - Jon's day of birth! I am so glad he was born, because if he wasn't, my life sure would be different, and not nearly as awesome! I love birthdays because they are special, the day that the Lord picked for you to grace the world with your presence. Life is messy and hard sometimes, and I think that each year we spend here, happy and whole should be celebrated! So for Jon's birthday this year, I invited some of our family and good friends up to camp to spend the evening with us! We ate chili for dinner (Jon made one pot that was SPIIICCCCY and I made one pot that was nice and tame!) and angel food cake for dinner (courtesy of the beautiful Sharon Burdge!). I was really happy that so many people made the drive up just for the evening, and that we were all able together to make Jon feel special. He spends everyday making people's lives happier by being his loving silly self, and it felt good to be able to honor him a little bit! We have had quite the year since his last birthday - the owl center debatacle that was horrible, surviving Youth Quake 2010 when I was the intern, my graduation, saying goodbye to all our friends, moving to BC with exactly 13 dollars that had to last us an entire month (we actually made that happen!), the craziness of last summer, the slowness of the fall, a trip to Mexico, the excitment of being told we have the go ahead to start a brand new outdoor program, rocking the face off Fall Teen Retreat 2010, getting a kitten, christmas with both our families (always a whirlwind with our crazy busy families), and just going through one huge transition to the next! Since last February, we have had some of our highest highs, and lowest lows, and here we are, stronger and better than ever! So here's to Jon being 24, and I hope it is the BEST year of his life so far!

It was time for cake, and I realized I had no birthday candles, so this was how I improvised:
Makenna helping Jon blow out his candles
Two incredibly beautiful girls, inside and out! Look at their smiles! We love both you ladies so much!
Look who also made the drive out! Nicole, Katrina, and Jason. We had a great time visiting with them, and kicking their butts at Dutch Blitz (we played teams)
My fabulous sister in law!
Even Ed and Val drove all the way up here - so special!!
Jon taking a picture of his "full time party planner"
I love you Jon, even if you are getting old and grey!
Jake with his favorite person in the whole world. He is not allowed to jump up on people like that, but with Tim anything goes, and Jake sure loves him!
Jon and his "soulmate" Ryan - Court and Ry gave Jon a present wrapped in a re-usable baby diaper! So funny! And it was full of great things for Jon's hiking backpack and even had movie bucks! YAY, I LOVE the movies!!
SO CUTE!!! Makenna and her awesome Daddy having fun.
What a good looking pair we are! Sharon's drinking our trademark drink - a Chai Latte!
This picture makes a laugh A LOT. Look at my SPOILED SPOILED pets!
Courtney and Maelle - the Denninger's spent the night when everyone else left, and hanging out with them is always so much fun!
What a super fun night! Looking forward to many, many more birthdays, and birthday parties!

No comments:

Post a Comment